Transcript of an oral history interview with Russell Bingham, conducted by Komozi Woodard on November 27, 1984. –Credit: Komozi Woodard
Fundraising letter from Ulysses Blakeley to solicit funds and participation for the National Conference on Black Power, to be held in Newark from July 20-23, 1967. — Credit: Newark Public Library
Letter of invitation from Dr. Nathan Wright to serve as a member of the National Planning Committee for the National Conference on Black Power, to be held in Newark from July 20-23, 1967. — Credit: Newark Public Library
In this draft proposal for the 1969 Black and Puerto Rican Convention, the planning committee describes the purpose of the Convention and explains the need for Black and Puerto Rican political power in the city. The Convention was organized by an array of inviduals and organizations in Newark to formally select the “Community’s Choice” for Mayor and City Council in the 1970 election.
A printed collection of statements presented by members of the Newark Community Union Project (NCUP) to Adam Clayton Powell’s Congressional Committee investigating the War on Poverty in April, 1965. In their statements, these Newark residents describe a lack of community representation and involvement in the United Community Corporation (UCC) in Newark. As federal funding arrived in Newark, city officials and politicians jockeyed for control of the money for their own purposes, while the city’s poor communities sought access to the antipoverty programs. Mrs. Louise Patterson explains that “the Area Boards are being taken over by Ward Leaders and speeches by politicians and candidates for political office.” — Credit: Newark Public Library
Some of Newark’s Portuguese community hold a banquet at the Robert Treat Hotel to honor the aviators of the Lisbon-Macau Raid on August 24, 1924. — Credit: Newark Public Library
Cover page from the 30th Anniversary journal of Newark’s Luso-American Fraternal Association in 1969. Newark’s Portuguese residents are very committed to their clubs, social organizations, and churches in the East Ward. — Credit: Newark Public Library